Don’t Stop Till You Drop

Robert - Bowling Green, Ohio

Have you ever started something and just felt like giving up? Commitment is something that everyone around the whole world seems to have an issue with. I believe that once I have made a commitment to something, then I must stand by it until what ever it is I am doing is finished.

I have been playing organized sports all my life, and really have a passion for them. I have played baseball, football, basketball, soccer, wrestling, and I was even on my high school bowling team. I loved to play organized sports, and some how I became really good at them, no matter the sport. I didn’t realize how important commitment was until I started to quit high school sports.

It all began freshman year of high school when I decided to continue playing basketball. When I made the basketball team I made a commitment to the coaches, and my teammates, to put the time and effort in practice to be the best. Basketball had been simply enjoyable until now. In junior high basketball, the game wasn’t about making the coach look good, it was about building chemistry through team work and doing what we loved to do. Then in high school it was all about the “W” or the win. Soon enough, basketball became more like a job and wasn’t fun or exciting to play anymore. I wanted to quit, I felt frustrated by this and was stuck in this situation because I had already made a commitment to the team. I was stuck doing something I did not want to do, everyday. Running from baseline to baseline for what seemed like an eternity until I puked, getting yelled at for not shooting right, getting singled out for my frosted hair dye, are just a few small reasons for my lack of desire to play. I made it threw the season but never went out for the basketball team again.

Later, in my junior year of high school, all my friends and I decided to go out for the football team. I thought that the running for basketball was hard until I realized that this was the same thing I would be doing in football, only with ten extra pounds of pads. Sure enough my commitment was tested again when our football team roster started to drop in numbers as my friends started to quit. “I can’t quit” I would say to myself. I made a commitment and I had to tough it out. Running from field goal post to field goal post in ten pounds of pads was ruff. Under a blistering hot sun and temperatures near one hundred degrees made me pass out from dehydration. I don’t know what I was thinking because I was not even getting any playing time.

Eventually, I got to play under the Friday night lights and had a blast. I was so glad I stayed committed to football because by the time my senior year rolled around, I was starting on offense, defense, and special teams. I became infatuated by the game of football and loved every second out on the field. I made front page of the newspaper in the sports section multiple times for big games we won and almost took our team to the play offs.

Today, I look back at my high school athletic career and I wish I would have stayed in basketball, just like I stuck with football. Football is one of the best experiences I had in high school. I regret not staying committed to the basketball program, but I now realize that commitment will be a key value through out my college and life career. Now I know once I make any commitment in life, quitting only leads to regret.