Julie - Bowling Green, Ohio

I believe in friendships, the ones that are there no matter what and will always have your back. I believe in laughing so hard it hurts. I believe that ice cream, chick flicks, and a good cry can mend a broken heart. I believe in being comfy and lounging around in sweats, not worrying about what I look like. I believe make up can make anyone look good and can cover up any outward flaw. But too much, or in some cases too little, can make anyone look their worst. I believe in having a good time, going out with friends, and making memories that will last forever. I believe that everything happens for a reason. I believe in miracles. I believe in bright pink nail polish and strawberry flavored lip gloss, just to add a little spunk and flavor to life. I believe in a good tan, and sometimes even a little sunburn, just to add color to my skin. I believe in love, having one true soul mate. Even if I never find him, I know there is someone out there who will make me happy. I believe that hard work is the only way to get things done and to get them done the right way. I believe in tomorrow. I believe in hopes, dreams, and being able to achieve all my goals. In short, I believe in being a girl.

As a little girl, I wasn’t exactly the cutest or very “girly.” In fact, I wasn’t girly at all. My parents had to force me to wear dresses. Even when they did manage to get me into one, I wore basketball shorts underneath it, as well as a Cincinnati Reds baseball cap. My hair was cropped into a boy style cut that was above my ears. My mom’s attempt at making me look cute was putting it into a pony tale on the top of my head. She told me made me look like Pebbles off of The Flintstones. Then she would curl and teas my bangs to make them as poofy as possible. All of this was torture to me as an awkward-looking adolescent. But as I grew up a little more and got into my teenage years, all of the awkwardness went away. I went from being a clumsy little kid to a more elegant teenager. I loved going to my friends’ houses and getting ready to go out on weekends. Putting curlers in our hair and painting our nails, just to look good for the boys, was the highlight of our week. Now, instead of chasing me around to get me to put on dresses, my mom was running from me to get me to stop asking her to buy me make up or new clothes.

My belief is not something that is just silly and easy to do. I actually believe that it is much more complex. All of the little things are what make a girl happy; they are what make her unique and an individual. By doing all the little things differently, because of our individuality, is how we express ourselves and show who we really are. I chose to wear bright pink nail polish, whereas, there are some people who choose to flaunt the color black, blue, or any other color of the rainbow. Also, I love lounging in my sweats and just being lazy and not worrying what I look like. There are girls out there though, that will not leave their tiny dorm room without putting on their designer jeans, stilettos, and have their Coach purse at their side, for fear that someone might see them not looking their best. It’s the little things that show off the assets each individual girl has, and those are what make each and every one of us look good.

I believe in many things. Believing in being a girl is believing in myself, which gives me, as well as other girls, a good amount of confidence. Knowing that I look good to me, and that I am happy with myself, I don’t have to worry about what everyone else thinks of me and is saying about me. I can go out at night with my friends and just have fun and party without sitting around worrying about if other people are talking about me or if other people think I look bad. Being a girl means being happy with what I have, not wishing I was someone else or wanting some different characteristics that I wasn’t born with. For me, it means being happy with being five foot ten, not wanting to be shorter and accepting that I will never be shorter. It means finding flat shoes that are just as cute as all the stilettos the other girls or wearing, or even sucking it up and going out in heals just to prove to everyone that I am not worried about what they think. I am confident with my height and who I am.

Being a girl means being happy, believing in many other things, and knowing who you are. Being a girl means knowing you can do anything you put your heart and mind to. Being a girl means that no matter what people say to you, Ben and Jerry will always be there to fix it and put you back together. Being a girl means knowing that no mater what happens there will always be someone you can turn to. Whether you run out of make up on senior prom night and your mom needs to run to the store, or you found out your high school crush doesn’t have the same feelings for you so your friends have to primp you up and take you out for a night on the town to get you back to your old self, being a girl isn’t something simple and easy to deal with: it’s who we are, it’s what we do, it’s our life.