Patrick - Bowling Green, Ohio
Themes: pleasure, sports

I often find myself at the ice arena practicing curling, a game played on ice in which two teams of four players each compete in sliding large stones toward a mark in the center of a circle. Curling is my personal philosophy. Curling gives me the escape from a world of unknown abilities and strange occurrences. With curling I get a feeling of utopia, otherwise known to me as a feeling of pure happiness. You are with your teammates, which are my best friends and the people who mean the most to me in this painful and sometimes confusing reality. Unlike the reality we all live in, you have some control of what will happen and what has happened. You take one shot at a time with the hopes that it will get better, which if you are good, it does.

Most people just think of curling of a sport or something to do in their meantime to get their mind of their daily trouble, which it is in fact good for that, but to me it is so much more. I have no worries of the semi-stressful events that happen to me and no drama added to the game. It not only gives me my utopia but the freedom of choice without repercussion. The game is not just a game it is a metaphor in a sense. I see it as a sheet of music; it might not make sense at first but let me enlighten you on why. You see when you read music you get the ups and downs. As you throw a rock you have that, sometimes you might throw it too hard, or too easy, but it is when it lands on the button, which is the center of the target also known as the house, that gives you the sound of a symphony, The perfect collection or gathering of notes. It is like letting go of one’s soul and allowing it to be directed without the cause of others feelings. It is like you are deciding where you want your life to go and what you want your life to do.

Along with freedom and feeling of utopia, I get a sense of pride. A feeling of a job well done, one feeling that is hard for me to get because of how critical I am of myself. When people first meet me when I’m curling I’m smiling, happy, and confident; three aspects or characteristics which I do not always portray. I have found that one thing, that one niche that helps bring all that I need to get me through the week. The greatest thing about curling is that no matter what happens I always has this to fall back on to make me happy and take me away from my stressful and unentertaining life.