holden - continental, Ohio

I’ve been playing baseball for as long as I can remember. It has provided me with hundreds of memories that I will treasure for the rest of my life. One memory really sticks out to me above the others even until today. When I first started playing I wasn’t very good but I loved the game. At the end of my second pee-wee season I overheard my coach talking to my father saying how maybe I wasn’t cut out for baseball, maybe I should try something else next year. I was devastated. I thought fathers were supposed to stick up for their soms. I felt betrayed more than at any other point of my life.

From that day on I was in the yard throwing balls at the dog’s cage fence until my arm hurt. I would pick up balls and hit them then run to pick them up and hit them again. Sometimes I rode miles on my bike just to play catch with someone who would throw the baseball back for a change. I couldn’t believe that even my father didn’t believe in me of all people he actually told me that I was wasting my time out in the yard everyday practicing. All I wanted was encouragement and for my father to take time to play catch in the yard with me like all the other kids’ dads.

That is why I believe that you have to believe in yourself. Even if everyone else doubts you or says that you’re not good enough you have to believe in yourself or your dreams and goals will never come true. You have to chase your passion and do what you love not only to be hapy but to live life to the fullest.In life you are going to have to face many challenges and obstacles and believing in yourself is only going to make those walls easier to scale. If you’re confident you will face your obstacles with a more positive attitude which in turn makes difficult things simpler.

After all that practice the very next season I made the all-star team for the first time. In Jr. High I pitched a no hitter in the Pony League championship game. I went on to make the varsity baseball team as a sophomore. Then 248 career strikeouts, one All-Conference trophy, and eight scholarship offers later I believe that I had proved myself. I proved to everyone else that I could do it. Even though I was the only one knew that I could all along.