Caitlin - Chanhassen, Minnesota

Everyone needs a best friend; at least one. A best friend is someone you can always count on. Best friends love you unconditionally. They offer support and shoulders to cry on. No relationship is perfect, and even best friends get into arguments. But, because you are best friends, you can quickly resolve them; and you know, in the end, that you can overcome anything because you are best friends. Best friends can be completely honest with you and tell you that the shirt you are wearing is hideous, but they can say it nicely and not make you feel too horrible. Best friends can help you out whenever you find yourself in a pickle. It’s possible to know everything about your best friend and still learn new things about them every day. A best friend doesn’t need to be someone you have known since kindergarten. You can have more than one best friend. Best friends can be complete opposites, or they can be exactly the same.

I believe in best friends.

I have several best friends. I have known one of my best friends since kindergarten, one since I was a freshman in high school, and two that I have become close to in the past few years. My best friends play an extremely important role in my life. It’s nice having multiple best friends, and the best part is we are all best friends with each other too. We are all closely knit and we get along really well. When the occasional argument comes up, we try to resolve it as quickly as possible. We are strong people who share similar beliefs. Our friendship is grounded by our similar senses of humor. We all have so much in common, yet we are all unique. My best friends include and superstar athlete, the student council president, one of the funniest people I have ever met and one of my childhood classmates. My best friends and I have really connected and become close in the past year. We have created so many amazing memories together. It’s hard to think that in a few months, we won’t see each other every day at school, and we won’t be able to hang out on the weekends. Instead, we will go our separate ways to pursue our dreams. The superstar athlete is headed up north to Duluth to engage in his love of the outdoors. The student council president is headed out east. Film school is calling the name of the funniest girl I know. And my childhood classmate is headed to Indiana, why Indiana, I have no idea.

Where does that leave me? I want to go far away, and at the same time I want to stay close to home. The thought of only seeing my best friends on holidays is still something I can not grasp. But, I also know that because we are best friends, we will still stay close despite the distance. I believe in best friends.