Zack - Bowling Green, Ohio

There are things in life that some people don’t want to go through on their own but they don’t want their families to get involved. So if they don’t want their families to get involved in their life, for whatever reasons, who do they turn to for advice or council? They turn to someone who has always been there for them, who has given them advice, who was been there through the dark times. For me that is my friends.

When I broke up with my girlfriend I remember being so miserable. We had been together for a year before I broke up with her and it was one of the hardest things that I had ever had to do. I broke up with her because I thought that having her in my life was having a bad affect on my grades, which could not have been further from the truth. I remember feeling miserable for weeks and not wanting to do anything because it felt meaningless. The big thing was that I didn’t really feel comfortable talking with my parents about it so I confided in one of my oldest and closest friends. He was there for me in one of the darkest moments of my life thus far. I was there for him when he needed me most in a similar situation because that’s what good friends do for each other. If he had not been there for me I would not have known what to do. I probably would have kept it all inside and let it eat away at me until I couldn’t take it anymore.

There is one thing that I have a very strong belief in and that is having friends who are always there for me to give me advice and counsel in a time that I really need them. It is really important to me to have friends that I know I can count on when the “metal meets the mea”, or in this instance, when something major happens like ending a one year relationship. One reason in particular I believe in having friends like this is because they often see more of our faults and bad choices than we would like to admit. He pointed out the obvious fact that I made a mistake when I left her and that she was the only thing that was really keeping me on track. So after a lot of consultation my girlfriend and I got back together and are still together now.