“The truth hurts, but the lies kill.”

Anna - Ann Arbor, Michigan

Honesty is scary and hard, and sometimes it hurts, but it means a lot to me, and I try to be honest at all times. My family is Christian, so I grew up knowing that “lying is bad” and “you should always tell the truth,” but I never really knew the significance of it. All I knew was that if I told a lie, I would get in big trouble, so I did my best to avoid it. As I grew up, I saw people I love get hurt and many relationships destroyed because of dishonesty. I started realizing how much I really valued the truth, and I began to understand what honesty really meant.

Honesty is telling “the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.” A half-truth is also a half-lie, and a mix of truth and lies is not really the truth either. However, honesty is no excuse to blurt out every mean thing that comes to your mind and using “but it’s true” as justification. It is a process of learning to trust yourself and the people around you.

I believe that strong relationships are built on trust. I don’t just let my friends into my life; I also let them into my heart. That gives them the ability to hurt me, badly. I have to trust my friends: trust that they will keep my secrets, and that they will still love me even when they know my secrets. I trust that they won’t take advantage of me, and that they will stay faithful to our friendship. The more honest a relationship is, the deeper, stronger, and more lasting it will be.

When I hide the whole truth, I prevent others from seeing all of me. I let my friends know the real me, faults and all. I don’t see any reason to be dishonest with them or to pretend to be someone I’m not. Either they love me, or they hate me. If people can’t accept who I really am, then I guess they’re not my real friends. I expect honesty in return as well; I can’t open up to someone if I don’t know if they will be honest with me.

I have seen what dishonesty can do, and I have experienced it myself before. I have to say, I prefer the harsh truth to the beautiful lies. The truth only scratches the surface, and I can get over it, no matter how painful. However, when I find out that someone has been lying to me –for whatever reason- it leaves a wound beneath the surface that might never heal. As some people say, “The truth hurts, but the lies kill.”

I am not afraid to show my friends who I am, and I am able to share things with them, and trust them enough to hold on to it. Honesty is very important in my life, and I try to be honest no matter what the situation may be.