Pelham - Ann Arbor, Michigan
Themes: carpe diem

Many people like to live their life based on routine. They know exactly where they should be and when they should be there. Some people have their day planned out by the minute. I believe that to achieve the maximum sense of excitement in your life you should be able to ad lib your day, do things on the fly and not have to rely on a strict schedule to tell you what to do. When you do things in the moment instead of planning them ahead of time you appreciate them more.

I am a tap dancer and I have been dancing since I was really young. My favorite type of dancing has always been improvisation because improvised steps are always the best. You have no idea about how they are going to turn out until you just do them. This is the way that people should handle all situations in life. Instead of planning what to do after school earlier, just meet your friends after school and decide what to do from there.

I think that it is more fulfilling if you are able to just go do something out of the blue than if you plan for it in advance. It just gives you more satisfaction when you do things like that. I also enjoy listening to Jazz music. A very large part of Jazz music is improvisation. Jazz musicians improvise all of the time in solos that they play. It makes the music sound really good and it is never the same.

This belief affects the way that I plan my day. Instead of having a master plan of what I am going to do on any given day I will have a general outline of what I will do and I change it as I see fit to during the day. This allows me to be very flexible with what I want to do. I f I suddenly have a great spur of the moment idea there is always the possibility that I can actually follow through with this idea.

One activity that many people partake in is going to the mall. They are never sure exactly what they are going to do there. They don’t know which stores they are going to. This is why going to the mall is such a popular thing to do. It has an essence of randomness and unexpectedness about it that just makes people want to do it. Everybody goes to the mall hoping to decide what to do when they get there. It would not be such an adventure if they already knew what they were going to do once they got there.

Experiences of excitement have almost always come from unexpected events. Improvising your schedule gives you much more excitement than you would get if you stuck to a routine. This is why I believe that in order to get the most excitement out of your life you have to be able to improvise and not rely on a set scheduled. I believe that you have to go with whatever life throws at you and shouldn’t try to influence it.