Frank - Ann Arbor, Michigan

The sacrifices that parents make for the family, is one of the greatest act of kindness that a person can show someone. They sacrifice their time and energy, to support the family, and guide their children. Without the daily sacrifices parents give, many of our lives would be much different.

Before, I had always thought that my parents didn’t care about me. Always distant. It was almost as if they only cared about their job, my education, and not my enjoyment of life or even their own enjoyment. Throughout my life, I’ve always had meals set on the table before me, extracurricular activities signed up for, and paid for, and all the other essentials. I took all these things for granted; not realizing all the effort and work that it takes to make these basics happen. Not really appreciating them, for what they were doing.

However after watching the movie, “The Pursuit of Happyness”, I’ve realized exactly how hard it actually is to continually put food on the dinner table, and have a place to sleep. It was then I realized how much my parents sacrifice to pay our bills, and support the family. And it’s not just my parents, but also everybody else’s as well.

In the movie, Chris Gardner is man desperately trying to find a place in life for him and his son. He sacrifices many things, so he could get an internship so he could finally have a job to support a family. In some parts, his son and him, sleep in a subway or a community shelter for the homeless, for lack of a better place to stay. He even lies to his son, and pretends that sleeping in these bad conditions is all a game, so his son wouldn’t worry.

Like Chris Gardner, my parents also sacrifice much. They go to work everyday, early in the morning, after sending me to school. At work, things aren’t tranquil or easy. They have to stress about work meetings, and projects that need to be finished and other related things. Then they come back home, with a laptop, and continue to work hard, and only stopping to cook and eat dinner. They seldom do things they enjoy until it’s late at night, or on holidays. All of the things they enjoy are in arm reach of them had they not been so busy, yet they continue to sacrifice out of love of the family, and kindness.

Even though most teenagers consider themselves independent, and able to get through life without their parents, in reality, they would be completely lost. In the end, parents show their greatest love and kindness for you by sacrificing. Ultimately, the more they sacrifice, the more they care, and vice versa.