Abbey - Ann Arbor, Michigan
Themes: work

I believe that I should always try my best, no matter the circumstances. When life is awesome and going great, it is easy to try my best, but now I am in a pretty hard situation. I am in my first year at a public school, and sometimes, when it’s hard, I feel like quitting. I know that if I keep trying, keep on going and giving it my all, then I’ll get through the hard times. If I try my best at the things that I do, I think that I will benefit, those around me will benefit, and life in general will be a lot better for everyone.

If I try my best in everything I do, it will benefit me. At school, this means I might get better grades or have a better understanding of the material. I have learned this from my history class. I had an extra credit essay due about a month ago, and I didn’t think that I would have enough time to complete it. My mom encouraged me to try to do it, and I finally decided to try. I didn’t have very much time, and I stayed up late working on it. I thought that it wasn’t very good, but I turned it in anyway. I ended up getting the full extra points for my effort. From doing this, I learned that if I just try, giving it a shot, things may turn out way better than I ever thought that they would. I like to get good grades, but I will always be satisfied if I know that I tried my best.

When I try my best by setting a high standard, people around me will benefit. The standards that I set affect those around me, just as their standards affect me. I think that the best people are those who try, and I like to be with them. If I am surrounded by people who just don’t care, then that attitude will rub off on me. In the same way, my attitude affects the people around me. In my math class, I take the time to write out the vocabulary for that chapter before each test. On test days, there is a huddle of students around my desk studying the definitions that I have written. From reading my sheet before the test, a few of them have done much better on the vocabulary section of the test. In my math class, some students have benefited from my high standards of learning the vocabulary.

I like to think that if everyone tried to make it a great day, and give their best shot, then the world would be a better place. The world would be better because people would be happier, friendlier, harder working, and more satisfied with their lives if they tried to be their best. At school, way too many people don’t even try to do their homework, so their grades aren’t very good. If they tried their best on all their assignments and paid attention in class, they would be happier because their grades were higher, their teachers would be glad because the students were doing well, and the school administrators would be pleased because the students were learning something.

I believe in trying my best all the time, 100%. I think that if I try to set a high standard for myself, and achieve it, then I will benefit, my friends will benefit, and life will be better. I have learned to try my best, and I’m going to keep that up.