Jonathan - Belleville, New Jersey

It is very unlikely that I will ever go to the moon, nor will I ever move objects with my mind, but with the power of my imagination, all of these things are possible. In school, most classes focus on hardcore unwavering facts which involve no ingenuity or creativity. In fact, in some classes, it is encouraged to stop all independent thinking, and become a robot who only calculates definite things. But, I believe that while facts have their place, the world is worthless without imagination.

Not only is the world built on imagination, but it is also run on it. Modern technology is the invention of brilliant technicians and scientists around the globe. The mother of invention is creativity. Without the brilliant imaginations of the people of the world, it is extremely possible that we would still be primitive human beings, living in caves, and contemplating the uses of fire. Technology is the invention of a number of people’s imaginations. Technology activates the imagination of the people who use it. For example, “Photoshop” was the invention of an imaginative technician. This program is used as a tool to expand and express one’s imagination through mind-boggling and fascinating computer graphics.

An imagination can be utilized for anything. It is a tool that can be used for good or evil. Terrorists and evil doers have imaginations just the same as normal, “good” people do. Though their imaginations are sadistic and twisted, the outcomes of their inspired ideas are deadly but brilliant. For example, when terrorists thought up the idea to lace civilian mail with anthrax as a statement to the American government, it was brilliant. The fact that it was a sinful idea does not negate its genius.

Sadly, imaginations are often under-utilized. As an example, one may think of the overwhelming and prominent blunders of the current United States government. Instead of trying to come up with creative, useful, ideas to correct the current state of our nation, they are using archaic, ineffective ideas that are only temporary solutions to long term problems. The officials in office are using history to duplicate things that have worked in the past. However, they should be drawing upon history to imagine new ways to solve similar problems that are occurring currently. Imagine what the world would be like if the people in office actually spent more time creating and imagining innovative ideas to fix America, rather than running away from problems. Our minds and imaginations are powerful beyond measure. When they are used to their fullest capacity, there is not problem that cannot be solved. The imagination is the key to opening the closed doors, of the unreal and unimaginable; this I believe.