Ethan - Issaquah, Washington

I believe that a little dose of apathy can make the world a more peaceful place.

Wouldn’t it be nice if there was no such thing as high school drama, or that you could get along with everyone simply because you don’t care? The word apathy means the lack of interest or concern, especially regarding matters of general importance or appeal; indifference. I’m not saying that everyone should be completely emotionless, but what I am saying is that we should learn to control our emotions, and not over react and just take life easy.

How many wars could have been spared, how many divorces could have been settled if the people just learned to drop their anger and find it to troublesome to argue; or to not be blinded by their anger and misunderstanding to see what is really happening. It sometimes may be that wars and other things are necessary, but many times these kinds of feuds can start over something so small, and insignificant.

The term apathy came from the Greek philosophy called apatheia that signified indifference for what one is not responsible of his representations and judgments. The concept was later adopted by Christians, who used the term to express contempt of all earthly concerns. Being apathetic didn’t become sympathetically accepted in popular culture until the First World War. Appalling conditions in the Western Front led to apathy as a form or mental protection. If one doesn’t care, then one can’t be hurt, or emotionally damaged. This can have a bad affect, because if someone is intensely callous and has no feelings the person is hardly human anymore, but if someone was not able to protect themselves from the horror of wars everyone would go insane. And on to my first point where if everyone was apathetic to begin with there would be fewer wars.

I personally consider myself to be carefree and somewhat apathetic. I tend to never get in fights or arguments. I find it too troublesome to fight over pointless things with my parents or friends, so I just say whatever, and put on my emotionless face. I’m not saying that I don’t stick up for some things that I find important, but in reality most arguments are pointless, so I just avoid them.

There is a song by Relient K that talks about apathy. This is how it goes.

“ I’m not angry and no, I’m not upset it’s taken me awhile but this is what I’ve learned emotional attachment is really not a threat when I’m simply not concerned

The things that I take on I soon shrug off ’cause I know no one will ever be content with the way things are or with what they’ve got so I’ve given up and now I’m just indifferent

You will laugh at me like I’m not happy with anything any time anywhere, and the half of me is all about apathy, and the other half just doesn’t care.

I’m well aware that all of us can at times, be too uptight and possibly, the remedy is a dose of apathy You point your finger at you I’ll point mine right back at me”

Although this song is essentially about a break up, it makes a lot of sense. The song is basically stating that people can be crazy ind retarded so a dose of apathy can make everything better, or something… I don’t know… I don’t even care, or whatever…