Adam - Des Peres, Missouri

I Believe

I believe in the practice of three R’s to enjoy your weekend away from school. Every weekend I try to practice these R’s in their entirety. Each day is devoted to one of the R’s. They stand for recovery, relaxing, and restarting.

After going through the trials and tribulations of a five day school week, I return to my home on a Friday to start the first phase. To recover from the long week, I arrive home and just let my brain and its thoughts flush out. Right when I come through the door, I head to the pantry and consume an enjoyable bowl of cereal. Then I usually plummet onto the couch, and absorb fifty crisp and clear inches of ESPN high definition television. I just unfold in the comfortable surroundings of my home as I just chill. I zone out the thoughts of the past school days, therefore focusing on enjoying my weekend.

The next day I wake up around lunch time, regaining all the sleep I lost earlier in the week. As I welcome the new day, I also welcome the next stage of my weekend: relaxation. This is Saturday is filled with a complete day of just chillaxing, a combination of chilling and relaxing. As I practice this art of chillaxing, I take the day easy and my schedule is very flexible. Whether I am just sitting around watching sports, cruising the internet, or hanging out with friends, my day is very relaxing.

Then after the final sunrise of the weekend, I get into the stage of restarting and getting ready for school. While I still enjoy my weekend, I have to focus on the upcoming day, the dreaded Monday. I cram in some football watching into my routine, and after a little procrastination I start to get set for school. I go into my room and open up my book bag for the first time since Friday afternoon. I see the horrible images of uncompleted work seeping out of the unzipped bag. After putting in some hard work for a limited amount of time, I get my homework done and I am prepared for the upcoming week of school. Even though restarting my mental focus for school on a Sunday night is considered procrastination, I see more as an art. The beauty of only dedicating the lasting minutes of your freedom towards school work would make Picasso shed a tear. After I finish up my last day of independence, I head to bed a few hours earlier than I did on Friday and Saturday. I restart up my focus towards school, and I turn out the light in my room and the light of freedom until next Friday afternoon.

In the past before I discovered this new technique for the weekend, I would always come into the weekend stressed out. The stresses from school work, teachers, and other students sometimes flooded into the weekend. Thus, not making my weekend always enjoyable. Now that I have discovered these three R’s of recovery, relaxation, and restarting, I can enjoy my weekend to its fullest and not have to poison my mental state with thoughts of school work.