Belinda - Helotes, Texas

I believe in long lasting friendships. I remember when I was little I read my horoscope and it said that Virgos seldom make lasting friendships. I told myself that I was not going to let my horoscope hold true. I decided that I was going to meet as many friends as I possibly could and avoid hanging out with one particular group. School kids tend to travel by groups. I can remember the different category’s as being jocks, nerds, rowdies, and lastly the preps. I was not going to fall into this trap for I was going talk and meet everyone from each group. This was indeed a difficult task because I was a cheerleader in Middle School and was automatically placed into the prep category. Yet, I was determined and tried my best.

As I was on my mission of finding my true friends I ran into obstacles of back stabbing, betrayal, and jealousy. It wasn’t until I switched High Schools due to an unforeseen incident that changed my life. I finally was on the right path of meeting the people that were going to be true to me for years to come and I didn’t even know. I am a strong believer that everything happens for a reason and sometimes some of those things can be bad but in the end the outcome of it is usually positive. I told myself that my move to a new High School happened for a reason.

My turning stone began with a phone call from an old friend that I’ve known since the 6th grade. She told me she was switching high schools and heard I would be going to the same school. She asked if she could bum a ride from me before and after school and she would help with gas. I kindly accepted the offer and we journeyed on our new path together. We decided what other way to meet friends but to join some sort of school function. So we joined the pep squad. There one sunny day back in August of 1989 is when I would meet ten of my long lasting friends. I found commonality amongst these friends as they did towards me. I value our friendship and I know it takes commitment and hard work to keep the friendship alive. Each friend is unique and I need them all for one reason or another. One is the shopper I can have fun with, the other a workout buddy, a nurse when I’m ill, a joker when I need a good laugh, a party girl when I need my spirits lifted, a listener when I need to vent, a traveler when I need to escape, a positive reinforcement when I think I can’t do something, and lastly a shoulder to cry on. We are one year shy of celebrating our 20th Friendship Anniversary and I am thankful to have my long lasting friends for I could not imagine my life without any of them.