Claire - Ann Arbor, Michigan
Themes: sports, work

This I believe, that determination and perseverance is what helps us succeed. Without them nothing would get done in the world because no one would try to finish anything no matter how small or how big. An example of how determination helps us succeed is sports. When I first started field hockey at the beginning of the school year I wasn’t sure if it was the sport for me. After the first day of preseason training I already wanted to quit. The pain from all the running and bending over to hit(it includes a lot of bending your knees) was unbearable.

I continued going to preseason even though I didn’t want to. After every practice I would come home and collapse on the floor, I wouldn’t even try to make it to a couch. Even with all of that I continued on, hoping that if I kept working that it would get better, and I was right. After awhile, after all that hard work it didn’t hurt anymore and I realized that it wasn’t so bad. It was what every athlete at every high school went through to get in shape for what ever sport season they were preparing for.

This season was my first time ever playing field hockey. I didn’t know anything about how to play. I started off the season pretty badly. I kept making mistakes, I couldn’t hit the ball with out taking a bit time to set up, and even then I still missed the ball about 95% of the time. I became discouraged and mad with myself. I kept telling myself that I was terrible at the sport and that I should give up playing field hockey right then. However I kept working and working at it and I improved so much.

However I still did not have much confidence out on the field. It didn’t help at our game against Marian that I kept fluking when I had the ball and passing it off to the other team. At the end of the first half I had a feeling I wasn’t going back in for awhile. But when I was standing next to my coach I saw that my name was on her list for who was starting the second half. I started telling myself that I hadn’t played that badly after all seeing that she still wanted to put me in. But when she announced the forwards she turned away from me, and said another girl’s name. I became determined that at the next practice I would work harder than anyone else in order to show her that it was just a bad day and that I could was still a great player and that something like that game would never happen again.

When our first game against Pioneer came around I was surprised to find out I would be starting the first half. It was my first time ever starting, and I was amazed that I was doing it at such an important game. But I went out determined to win the game and play my hardest. And thanks to my determination my coaches kept me in the entire first half and only took me out for five minutes in the second half so that I could rest. Even though we tied that game I felt like I had won because my determination and perseverance had helped me show my coaches that I was ready to do such an important thing, like start a major game.

At the field hockey banquet I won the “Most Improved,” award. I was so extremely happy. My coaches and my teammates had recognized how dedicated to the sport I was and how determined I was to improve. Determination and perseverance are so important to succeed in any sport, like in my case field hockey, or anything. This I believe, that in order to succeed in life you must be able to preserver and be determined to succeed.