Levi - Lindon, Utah

I believe in improving yourself from the past. Becoming the person you are comes from learning who you are, and the person you are should be the person you want to become.

Seventh grade was rough, fitting in wasn’t something I did well at. I was really self conscious about what everyone thought of me, and took criticism too seriously. That attitude brought me down and I had no confidence in myself. Talking to new people was something I enjoyed, and I enjoyed talking to the people I did talk to. But, I felt like they never felt quite the same way. I wanted to change the way I felt about myself because I knew it wasn’t who I wanted to be.

Before making any ridiculous decisions I decided to change a few things about myself. Not my physical self, but my emotional self. The help my parents gave me made all the difference. They told me, “Levi, is what they say true?” I answered no. “Then why are you worrying so much about what they’re saying?” I thought about why I did and couldn’t come up with a reasonable explanation. It was true, why was I worrying so much about what other people said? It was time to make a difference.

Changing was a new experience; it was hard to exchange the negative thoughts I had about myself with positive ones. Once I did, I realized I wasn’t changing who I was, but I was learning to be the person I wanted to be. By the end of junior high I was a different person, I was starting to become the person I wanted to be.

Outside influences are constantly trying to get us to change, trying to convince us that their way is best. A rain shower of influences soaks us everyday from everyone we see. Some days the thought of being rich and famous seems amusing, and another day being the average person you are is what suits you best. Really, all that matters is that you’re becoming the person you want to be.

The person you become evolves from the choices you made in the past. I chose to change because I wanted to become me, and that choice has made all the difference.

I can’t say I don’t ever have negative comments about myself, but hey, I’m only human. But I can say that what I learned from my decision to change has helped me become the person I enjoy being today. I believe the person I am today came from what I learned in the past.