Kimberly - Pittsboro, North Carolina

I believe in the walk of life.

A walk for me is the movement of my body and a journey through place. The repetition of body movement has been a way to physically process loss, love, anger and happiness. It is like an emotional abacus, a way of marking a progression of thought.

Left Foot, Right foot, foot foot foot.

It is the way I manifest thoughts, emotions, spiritual understanding and philosophy.

I have walked down the aisle (a time or two).

I pace when I’m searching for answers to a multifaceted problem.

I dance with uncontrolled flailing arms for joy.

I walk a labyrinth with focused thought, searching for clarity.

I stalk the hills and trails of the woods, kicking old stumps and saying out loud all the things that I should have said in an argument.

I stroll down a beach searching for solace.

I run to feel my lungs and heart pumping with invigoration.

I would walk a pilgrimage to gain enlightenment if I could.

I sit still to absorb what has life has to offer, but move my body to experience it.

Left foot, Right foot, foot foot foot.

I have never known a path or road until I’ve walked it. I’ve driven down my half mile drive way for many years and never knew its rhythms and life, until, I began walking to the end of my drive way and back to get the mail. I found a new world embraced in the rhythm of life.

As the dappled sunshine warms the Carolina jasmine, the fragrance becomes richer and buttery soft through the day. Picking off the flowers and sucking the sweet nectar almost makes its invasive strangulation of the tree an acceptable quality.

I immediately became aware of how steep the rises are and watch the growth of pot holes from a small dip to axle breaker.

I watch each winter as a hundred or more black crows perch in the old oak tree on the corner. Their silhouettes against the grey skies remind me of the movie the Omen and my walk becomes a dare against fear. Then one day they are gone and the only trace they leave are the white stains under the tree.

For years I have walked down this one road and have never gotten tired of its rhythm. I’m grateful to have joined its life rhythm to mine. I feel enriched because of it. I have walked many roads and been filled with many lives as I have walked through my own. I have lived through walking and aspire to maintain a deliberate stroll in the walk of life.

Left foot, Right foot, foot foot foot. (Dr. Seuss, The Foot Book)