Alex - Belleville, New Jersey

I believe time is of the essence. From the day we’re born, to the day we die, time is one thing that will always be there. Whether it’s time well spent, a waste of time, or not enough time at all, our lives revolve around time. Some people say that time is just the ticking of the clock, and the turning of its hands. But I believe it is much more.

Time is the moments we spend with our family. It is the hours we spend educating ourselves and the downtime we spend hanging out with our friends. See? We even have “downtime.” I believe that downtime is really just a way for us to waste time; nothing more and nothing less. Then we try and earn back that time, or make time. I believe there is not enough time in the first place to make more time.

Time spent with our family and friends is the most important time of all. There may be only one time we get to be together, and nothing is more valuable than that time. I believe to pass up time to be spent with each other is like turning the clock forward. You can’t take that time back. An hour passed is an hour gone forever. We never know when the last time we see each other will be. That is why it is important to make the most out of the time we have together now, in whatever time we have.

I believe we have to make the most of time. Don’t put off things until tomorrow, if you could do them right now. You may not get the chance to do it. If you see something you want to buy, buy it. Don’t wait. Tomorrow could be gone, and our time could be up. What good was it to wait for nothing? Some say good things come to those we wait, but I believe that we do not have enough time to wait around. We only get so much time in our lives, so don’t waste it.

There is no such thing as “making time.” If we could do that, then I would start school at ten o’clock in the morning, instead of eight o’clock. I would put my finger on the clock on a Friday night and hold down the hour hand, and not let it go until I was ready. I would take those last hours while my grandparents were alive, and spend them turning back the clocks seventeen years, so I could spend as much time with them as I could. And that would still not be enough time.

In this world, time does not help us out. Don’t believe me? Ask the citizens who work everyday how much extra time they’d like to commute to work. Ask the parents who need more time to go Christmas shopping. Ask the students who’d like another period to finish their test. Ask the doctors who would like a few more minutes to save a person’s life. You see? Time is there, but it is hardly ever cooperative. Time does not stand still for anybody.

I may believe that time is not your friend, there’s no such thing as making time, or that time itself will never end, but we may not be here without any time at all.