Kimberly - Park Ridge, Illinois

I believe that a pair of shoes can change your life. Well, I don’t literally believe that a pair of shoes can make me rich, find me true love, or fulfill my dreams, but I do believe that a pair of shoes can give me the confidence I need to change my life. Think about it.

When I was four years old my parents bought me a pair of soccer cleats. I remember them well: they were black with lime green studs and a lime green Lotto logo on each side. I also remember the first time I wore them. It wasn’t like playing soccer in gym shoes with my brother in the backyard anymore. It was something more. It was like I had been transported to a new world. It was still me, but it felt like I was a pro. Obviously, I was only four years old and was still mastering how to kick the ball more than five feet, but in my mind I was as good as Mia Hamm or Cobi Jones, two players I idealized in my youth. From the first time I laced up those cleats, my life changed forever. Since then it has been filled with all the joy, excitement, hard work, and heartbreak that come with being an athlete. Without those shoes, and the memories that followed, I would not be the person I am today. And yes, I do believe it was the shoes that gave me the confidence in myself, and the belief I needed to fall in love with the game.

Not only can shoes open up new doors in a person’s life, they can also give a person the confidence it takes to be someone else. Shoes can allow someone to step out of her shell and become someone else, even if only for a day. Any girl can attest to this: putting on a pair of high-heeled shoes makes it impossible for her to do anything but stand up straight, with her shoulders back and her head held high. But, if they are the right pair of heels, they can do so much more. The right pair of heels can make any “plain Jane” think she is a princess. They can make any girl believe that she is the most beautiful girl in the room. I know, I know. It sounds cliché and superficial, but I truly believe it. It is impossible to feel anything but confident when you are wearing the perfect pair of shoes. The perfect pair of shoes gives the wearer the confidence to go after goals she never thought she could achieve. Whether it be as small as talking to a guy she feels undeserving of or as big as interviewing for her dream job, the perfect pair of shoes can make whoever is wearing them feel on top of the world. If that feeling can’t change your life, then I truly believe that nothing else can.

A pair of shoes doesn’t make a person, but they can change a person. Shoes don’t have magical powers, but can make someone feel like they can do anything. Put on the right pair of shoes and change your life, why not?