Phillip - Pleasant Grove, Utah
Themes: freedom

I Believe It’s a Wonderful Life

I believe it’s a wonderful life. It is filled with opportunity and potential beyond human comprehension. We all deserve to partake of its wonder. Life is and interesting and delicate subject. The value of a life is hard to measure because we don’t know what the world would be like without one certain life. The film, “It’s a Wonderful Life,” tells of one such life. Now in this movie, our hero George Bailey is a hard-working loveable guy whose only real problem is that he has no luck, and I mean none. Things get so bad for this poor guy that he begins contemplating suicide saying the world would be a better place without him. This prompts the intervention of an angel in training named Clarence. Clarence shows George that the world without him is anything but better seeing how the miserable old miser, Mr. Potter, took control of the town that George fought and helped save. He discovers it truly is a wonderful life.

Now the idea of seeing a world without you sounds very fictional, but I have to comprehend it every day. Let me explain with a question. What does your grandpa mean to you? Is he a second dad, an elderly friend, or just some guy to mooch money off of when your parents won’t give it to you? We have all had a grandfather. It is a genetic fact. Many of us have had the great experience of a top notch grandpa, others are not so lucky. Now let me tell you about mine. My grandfather never sat me on his lap as a kid. He never was around to ask about my first day of school. He never sent me a birthday card. No, my grandfather wanted me dead. While my mother was pregnant with me, he made no hesitation of letting my mother know he had been given divine inspiration that she needed an abortion.

I have contemplated this many times wondering why someone who by nature I’m supposed to be close to could consider and justify such a thing. I can’t help but feel lucky that I was not killed before I could plead my case, but I also am terrified to think of those who weren’t so lucky. Did my best friend die before birth? Did yours? How about spouses, loved ones, next-door neighbors, mailmen, or pizza guys. Would a person occupy that empty space next to you if they were not wiped from history? Does the film starring Jimmy Stewart seem so fictional now, or familiar. We are living in the world without George Bailey. I repeat myself when I say I believe it’s a wonderful life. It is filled with opportunity and potential beyond human comprehension. We all deserve to partake of its wonder.