Amanda - Broomfield, Colorado

We use them every day. I’m using them right now. They are what our society relies on. And they’re what I believe in most strongly. They are words. They are the basis of society, and more than anything else in the world, they hold power. Every day we speak them, write them, listen to them, and even think them. And they serve a huge purpose in our lives. I believe in the power of words.

When you think about it, words form our society. They are the way we communicate ideas and they influence choices. They can be persuasive, deceptive, honest, caring; they express emotions like nothing else can do. And we rely on them. Without words there would be no communication and life would be so much less developed. Imagine if you didn’t have the ability to tell someone when you were hurting inside, or to convey something no one else could actually see. We depend on this ability to get what we need.

I believe words also have healing power. The first reaction to that might be, “Well, yes, when someone talks to you when you’re sad you do tend to feel better, so I guess words are healing.” However that’s not what I’m talking about. Writing is my therapy. After a crazy day with a million things going on and I’m so stressed that it’s all I can do not to cry, I write. When all the explanations of my day are out on paper it seems so much less intimidating, it seems if I can write it down then it’s obviously small enough for me to take care of. Writing has the power to heal, and since writing is words, we must give the due to the words that can calm and relax. Not many things can do that in this world anymore.

Even though I find words most powerful in writing, I will not deny that they have power as spoken therapy as well. Talking to someone whether after a hard day or a good day can be so relieving. Everyone has that one person they go talk to, to spill their emotions. And the most amazing thing about the words is that they can tell those emotions pretty effectively. It’s hard because emotions are sometimes beyond words, but just speaking out loud what has been going through your head can make all the difference. I’ll admit that sometimes writing isn’t enough for me. I go to my best friend when that happens and I tell him everything. And it relaxes me. It’s like sharing those words can release some of the burden their meanings hold, as if the sharing of words correlates with the emotions becoming manageable. Usually when we think of needing something therapeutic we think of when we have a bad day, but it works for good days too. I’ve had days where everything just goes so perfectly and the only thing I want to do is tell someone about it, because excitement is a different kind of burden. It’s the kind where you can’t sit still and you’re just about bursting with news, and the only thing that will bring you down from this high is to tell someone why you’re so excited. This strengthens my belief even more that words hold healing power.

Words hold immense power when just communicating in general as well though. I’m sure you’ve noticed that everything you say has an effect, whether positive or negative. Sometimes it’s not as obvious, but if you say hi and smile at someone just passing in the halls, you never know if you could have just turned their day around. Just that one “hi” could have told them they were loved and that people noticed them and it could have given them the strength to keep going. On the flip side, joking around with your friends and saying something as a joke that turns out to be more than a little hurtful can ruin a very strong relationship. Can you think of anything else that has such diverse powers?

Words are what we base our lives on. They can build us up, or bring us down, and they will, ultimately determine our future. Our decisions are just words, put into action. And so, I believe in the power of words, and with powerful things comes much responsibility. Choose your words wisely, and you too will experience the true power of words.