Preserving the Environment

Alan - 98103, Washington

I believe that preserving the environment now is our duty to the generations to come. I think too many people these days only care about where they are now and they don’t think about how their actions will affect the future of their lives, others’, and the planet we live on. This is important to me because I have experienced nature in its most pure and beautiful form and I want not only our generation to enjoy it, but generations that come after ours.

Being outdoors and in nature is something I love. Nature is definitely a major part of my life and I enjoy and perhaps appreciate it more than most people my age. I love the sport of mountain biking which I’ve done in some of the most beautiful places on earth, like on Whistler and Blackcomb Mountains in British Columbia. I am in a good mood whenever I go mountain biking and it gets me pumped to do anything. It has given me an appreciation for nature because without it I couldn’t rip through the air between trees and fly down rock faces.

A few months ago I saw the documentary by Al Gore, An Inconvenient Truth. It really helped me understand what is happening to our earth. For instance when he showed a graph of the rise in average temperatures around the world over the past 100 it hit me that this world is changing quickly. Then, this past summer in late August I took a boat trip up the B.C Coast towards Alaska with my dad, uncle, and his friend. We explored many little inlets and coves along the coast, each of which had new and amazing things to see and hear. We even went in little lakes and streams where no other human being has ever set foot. It was one of the most amazing and spectacular things I’ve ever done. Before

going on this trip, I didn’t appreciate nature very much and took what little we had for granted. Just seeing the eagles soaring around like stunt planes and the bears stalking fish in the streams with the cunningness of a cat made me realized how wonderful nature can be. Nature can be humorous too because I watched a bear slip on some wet rocks and go sliding down the stream like a child on a slide.

These types of experiences have affected my family and me in many ways. I now enjoy discussing environmental issues that we face and live with every day. My family and I are much more conscious about how our actions affect the environment than before. For example, we have just bought a hybrid car. Generations that come after ours shouldn’t have to deal with all of the environmental issues just because we were lazy and didn’t do anything about them. This belief will permanently affect how I live my life and the decisions I make to help protect our earth for future generations.