Michelle - Plainview, New York
Themes: equality

Women have always been thought down on, especially in the things we do. I am an athlete and the one sport I am truly passionate about is soccer. I have played for many years now, and as I have gotten older I heard numerous comments about women playing soccer; and any sport for that matter. Playing sports when we were younger, whether you were a girl or a boy, it didn’t matter. I have now learned that it does. Women athletes are thought of as inferior to men athletes. Women soccer is much more important to women, than men soccer is to men.

Just because we are girls, that does not mean we should be thought of differently. Our ability to play a sport should not be judged out on our sex, but how my play on the field. The men’s soccer world cup last year was known but many people. It was watched nationwide, and people had gotten very into it. This September was the women’s soccer world cup. Most people do not even know it was going on; which meant a lot less people had watched it compared to the men’s world cup. Men have a whole arena of options, of sports to play. But women don’t, besides soccer, not many women sports are really broadcasted on television and well known. People are constantly keeping up with their favorite baseball team and following them all the way to the World Series. They’re choosing their favorite football team and following them all the way to the Super Bowl; but what about women sports teams?

It is upsetting to know that people think so poorly of women and the abilities we have and the things we are able to accomplish. Not until the Reformation in the 16th century, where more women were allowed to add their voices, and speak up for their rights. There have been women’s rights movements, and many other acts that have brought women the opportunity to speak up and fight for their rights, but has it really made that impact we’re looking for?

Even now today, we are still working to prove to people that we are just as superior to men. I feel that women, not only in sports but in anything and everything, still have to stand up to the men and show how tough and competitive we can be. We need to work extra hard to make our strengths known. Charlotte Whitton once said, “Whatever women do they must do twice as well as men to be thought half as good. Luckily, this is not difficult.” When I get out there every Sunday for a soccer game, I know that I’m not only representing myself, but all women out there. I am proving to the world that women can be just as good as men; that we are able to succeed. Women need to start being recognized. I believe that women are just as equal as men. I believe that we do not need to work harder at something just to be better than men. I believe women make a difference. This I believe.