Heather - Traverse City, Michigan
Themes: children

I believe in green eggs and ham! I believe in them in a boat and with a goat. I believe while in a box and with a fox. I believe while in a house and with a mouse. I believe in them here and there and ANYWHERE!

Dr. Seuss and the concept of green eggs and ham are the essence of childhood simplicity and imagination, and at the age of five, it was the inspiration for my very own green breakfast. My project was a tribute to Sam-I-Am, and although I couldn’t conceive a way to obtain green ham without any horrific side effects, my meal was complete with green eggs covered with green ketchup and green milk. The eggs were coagulated chunks of dark green algae, and the ketchup smothering them was like thick green slime skimmed from the same pond. Looking back it was quite disgusting, but at the time it looked fun and delicious. It also embodied everything childhood should be. Not once in the preparation of this sacred meal, did the thought ever cross my mind that it would turn out disgusting. Even when I sat down to eat the food that looked much different than the illustrations in my beloved book, did I think for an instant about not eating the green eggs with green ketchup and green milk. In that moment, there was no fear of the food even though I had never tried anything like it. My innocence protected me from the fear of the unknown, which slowly conquers many people as they age. Instead, I found the unknown to be exciting.

The memories of my childhood have shaped me into the person I am today. I am imaginative, embrace simplicity, and realize that life is really one big game. At the end, all the props must be put away, and there isn’t a winner. The times remembered are those that change a person rather than the trivial things that often consume my attention on a given day. I remember the times where I challenged myself, faced my fears, and met my goals. These may have been as simple as reaching the highest branch while climbing a tree or finally being able to skip a monkey-bar, but they were the most important things in my life. While Dr. Seuss didn’t play an active role in every experience, Green Eggs and Ham was my favorite book and the backbone of the formation of my imagination. I believe that whether Seuss realized it or not, his silly book outlines the basics of childhood—being carefree, silly, and imaginative. It is a comical, rhyming children’s book that embraces being open-minded and willing to try new things. That is why I believe in Green Eggs and Ham. I believe in them in a boat and with a goat. I believe while in a box and with a fox. I believe while in a house and with a mouse. I believe in them here and there and ANYWHERE!