Katie - Lafayette, California

I believe humans emit a certain emotional frequency of energy all the time. Mystics would call this an aura; scientists believe it to be utterly preposterous. I believe it to be a part of nonverbal communication. However not all people acknowledge the existence of this energy or choose feel it. I profess to have no mystic powers, but I do choose to feel these frequencies. I am not alone in this; others have become more tuned to these frequencies, putting up their rabbit ears and wiggling them for reception. All humans are endowed with an antenna to sense these frequencies. Some dismiss this faculty, others embrace it.

I hold this ability close to my heart, trying to use it for the best. Often I use it to gauge the opportune moment to get what I want. With my parents this is easy. I know when my mother is livid; the house becomes tense and lifeless, and I discern that a more fitting time to ambush will present itself.

Furthermore when assisting others, I habitually become overly immersed in their lives and their states of being; in turn I neglect my own feelings. I soak up the negative energy around me until others are freed, and I, a saturated sponge, am ready to be wrung out. During these times it becomes challenging to distinguish what I feel and what I carry from others. My parents bare the brunt of this and become subject to my mood swings, telling me I must put myself first and worry about others later. Discarding these warning makes my life more arduous.

Expressing my belief frightens me because of the conformity society expects and its dependence upon science, dismissing the theoretical, due to the lack of empirical evidence. Laws of thermodynamics express energy released by a human or animal as heat that increases the entropy in the world. Scientists may attribute all I have said above to body language. The brain interprets body language, analyzing it to make a logical conclusion. But, I perceive these energies and they permeate my being, in no logical pattern and without seeing the person’s face or hearing them speak. An instinctual feeling plain and simple, needing no analysis or key to decipher a hidden meaning.

To pinpoint the exact moment I had this epiphany is difficult. This belief has been the sum of a multitude of experiences with those around me. An oak forms a new layer every year, and so I add new depth to my belief as I grow, helping me to become more attuned to these frequencies.