Rocio - Los Angeles, California

I believe that you should always be yourself. No matter how any things you have been through. I can assure you that you will feel better knowing that you always stayed the same. Don’t try to be something your not because you want to satisfy someone else.

While I was staying at my cousin’s house for a weekend I realized how much she had changed, I asked her what was going on, why was she changing so drastically. She said.” People always say I don’t try hard enough”. I answered,” Look whatever it is your doing your doing it the wrong way. Your not anymore you’ve changed so much. You think by doing this you’re turning into a better person. You need to think about who you really are and what you believe in.”

That night I remembered her breaking down into tears and telling me she was showing people that she was trying. She said she had lost hope. She wanted them to see that she didn’t care about anything and she could do it. She was trying to be someone who she wasn’t. I tried to explain to her that it wasn’t right and she needed to think about the decision she was making.

After about an hour of talking, I told her to just sit and think about what she really wants and who was she in reality. I told her.” Lupe everything you always tell me now is how you want to be like Fernando. Manuel and Mari Carmen.” I also let her know that she wasn’t the mean girl with an attitude who doesn’t care about anyone. I told her I know her as a nice, sweet and caring girl.

In conclusion, I tried to make her realize that the most important thing is to stay real and be yourself. Never let anyone tell you who you are or who you should be. Always stay true to yourself because in the end that is what really matters.