Alexi - Houghton, Michigan

Myspace , a place for friends? Within the past year, the amount of people who have signed for a myspace account on the internet has grown immencily.

“ Myspace, a place for friends.” That is the quote myspace uses to attract people everyday. I have never quite seen it as this though. Over the time that I have had a myspace I have realized that has become more and more about advertizing yourself. It had become a competition of who has the best profile, who’s about me section is more unique, who has the most picture comments, and of course who has the most online friends.

These competitors are usually labeled as the typical ‘myspace whores.’ They aren’t very difficult to find, infact most of the myspace community is just kids competing to have the most online friends. To me it has always been like these kids didn’t have many real life friends or maybe they just crave attention from all the thousands if unknown people telling them how good they look or how awesome they are over the computer. Or maybe they are insecure about themselves and use this way of having friends to they’re benefit.

The truth is that myspace has over 230,000 registrations for profiles a day, and to me it seems like the ages range from 11 to 55. I’m almost positive you cannot have an account unless you are over the age of 14, but there are so many kids younger then that that have them that add so many people they don’t even know onto there friends list, and that’s deffinetly a scary thought. There are so many people with fake profiles too, and that can lead to not so awesome things. Especially if they are much older then they say they are and just so happen to be speaking to an eleven year old child that lied about there age.

I’m not trying to rip on myspace too much because I realize that it is quite addicting once you use it enough and often .I would say I check it (sign in) to myspace atleast 6 times a day. That may seem like a lot, but to me and I am sure to plenty of other people this is nothing. Almost everyone I know has a myspace account, and if they don’t it is mostly just because they don’t have a computer at home.

It bothers me I guess that myspace is used so much as advertising yourself and how much time teenagers are taking to be on it most of they’re spare time. I am a victim of the myspace addiction honestly. I would like to overcome this addiction someday. I thought about deleting it just to see if I could go without it for some time. I guess what im trying to say is I believe that myspace is no longer a place for friends.