Abbie - Lake Linden, Michigan
Themes: respect

This I believe…..

Have you ever been disrespected? I’ve been disrespected many times. And I am certain all of you have to. One of my favorite quotes is “In order to receive respect you need to give respect, respect is not free.”

Why do I choose respect? I was disrespected this year two times or more by my ex-best friends. During the summer we lost our friendship. I was ditched by them and when we got back to school from summer break they acted as if everything was just fine. I do not think they realized how much this hurt me. I always wondered why they ditched me, and first of all why was I ditched in the first place. My friends? Nope not mine. I always thought that we could never become friends again. But now that I think about it, I can not stay mad about this forever. I hope that someday we might become the friends that we once were. I use to believe they were the greatest friends you could have but now I know I was wrong. I am writing about this because this was one of the worst friend-break up I’ve ever went through. This all hurt me more than anyone ever knew. I acted like it did not bug me at all, but really it hurt a lot. They use to be my so called “friends”.

Disrespect, does it hurt? Of course it does. I am not able to think of one human being who felt awesome after being disrespected. What came after all of this? Brittany and I became the best of friends.

I am guessing by now some of you listening or reading this will ask yourself hasn’t she ever disrespected someone herself? My answer to you would be yes. I have disrespected someone before and I felt like a complete idiot after it. We ended up yelling at each other and we stopped being friends. After awhile we became closer than we ever were. My mom and I talked about this and she told me she knew I was upset. She told me, that “in the future you have to talk to people that are stuck up and mean.” She also told me that I will come to good terms and fine something good about each of them. I took my moms advice and I talk to them now but I don’t think of them as friends.

Through all of this I have learned to not disrespect anyone and to just ignore someone when they disrespect me. Even when they do it to my friends.

As for becoming friends with Brittany, we are still friends. Not just friends but best friends. She was disrespected to by almost all the same people as me. So she knew exactly where I am and was coming from. I am so happy we became friends. I know some of you will be thinking yeah right and that is perfectly fine because it is my time to talk, not yours so just keep on listening and keep all your dumb founded comments to your self.

There is also the disrespect that you get from other people that do not actually know you or talk to you. Even though they don’t actually know you or anything much about you they spread rumors or just talk about you.

Just because you call someone fat doesn’t make you any skinnier. Just because you call someone ugly doesn’t make you any prettier or to guys hotter. And just because you call someone a name doesn’t make you any better than anyone. You want to know what you end up looking like? You end up looking like a desperate wanna be who wants a lot of attention. You end up looking insecure. You look like you have many problems with yourself and in order to feel better you think you look better putting someone else down.

Respect is so important to me and to other people who care about respect. Some people do not care if they give respect or receive respect. But really they should. People need to look at these facts and grow up already. This is not second grade. I hope that from my essay people will realize that this is all true. And others will continue to put other people down and laugh about it but someday you will realize that you end up looking like the insecure fool. And the person that you called names ends up looking ten times better than you any day.