brita - calumet, Michigan

I believe in the power of friendship. Friends have yanked me by the hand past the bad times and made me slow down and enjoy the best times as they happened. I honestly don’t know what I would do without my buddies. Friendship is amazing.

Almost everyday something happens to me that I would only be comfortable telling my friend. Things my mom wouldn’t understand and my sister would tease about. No one but my friend would actually understand. I love how my friends can understand me and give me advice that makes sense.

I couldn’t live without the fact that when I’m down in anyway I can just call them. When I’m feeling horrible I know that when I call, they’ll listen. “Life is an awful, ugly place not to have a best friend.” Sarah Dessen once said. I completely agree. No matter how long I complain they listen. Even if I’m being a complete jerk doing it. Friends are there to tell me what I need to hear not what I want to hear. I need that.

However, friendship can be tricky. Sometimes it’s difficult to workout but, if it works you make friends you know forever. I have friends that know me better then myself, there is nothing better. I have friends that know everything there is to know about me, even my ugly side. Yet they’re still standing next to me, still my friend.

Friends give me confidence to be me. I have gone on many adventures I would have never imagined doing myself. I was convinced to go swimming on New Years. We leaped frantically into a chainsaw cut hole of icy water. Not just once but, four times. My common sense went out the window as usual. I was also encouraged to dive from the second level of the McLain State Park’s light house. The encouragement of a friend is invaluable. I was soon falling, kicking and screaming into the cold Superior water. From more then three stories high? I did? I still can’t believe that. Both times my friends convinced me by teasing and prodding. I gave in and I am forever glad I did. Friends are crazy and it definitely rubs off. It’s better to be incredibly crazy then be incredibly boring.

Friends cheer you up when you’re down. This year we planned a ski trip out west for months. My best friend’s family was planning on coming with us. This led to a lot of high fives, new ideas, and extreme excitement. Every time we saw them our dreams of this were endless: mountains, condos, hot guys, and even the ride out there. However, it wasn’t going to happen. In October we ate all of our high fives, my dad had to get knee surgery. Our trip was “postponed.” Knowing my best friend was disappointed along with me, helped. The day we found out the feelings were spread out between us. We eventually helped each other get over it. Friends double our joy and divide our sorrows.

Friends are simply amazing. I believe in the power of friendship. If you’re a good friend amazing things happen.