Anna - Maple City, Michigan

I was always the child that made my mom want to pull out her hair. As a child, I was known for giving my mom a run for her money. The house rules were never set up for anybody but me. To my mom, I was considered the “trouble child.” Regardless of all the trouble I gave my mom, however, she still loved me.

When I was five years old, my mom took my brother and me to Meijer for the usual grocery shopping. Since I convinced my mom I was going to be a good girl, she let me come. As we walked into Meijer, I saw people rushing around with carts full of goodies. Since my mom had the feeling I wanted to escape, she grabbed my arm and said, “Anna, stay near the cart. Hold on to the end like your brother is doing.”

I glanced over at my brother, and he just stuck out his tongue at me. Of course, this action made me extremely frustrated. I challenged him to a game of Hide-and-Go-Seek. At first my brother was unsure but quickly agreed. When my mom left to get the milk, she strictly said, “Ok, I am going to get some milk, now stay put.”

Once my mom left, my brother went to go hide and I quickly followed. Instead of playing Hide-and-Go-Seek, the game turned into Tag. We were having a great time chasing each other up and down the aisles, causing people to jump. Suddenly we got to the diaper aisle which was our favorite.

We began to pick up our speed, running full blast into the bags full of diapers that were lying on the shelves. Sometimes we would take the diapers off the shelves and place them in the aisle. Then we would run and jump onto the diapers, landing on our bellies.

All of a sudden the fun came to and end. We heard an announcement, “Will Anna Brown and Gary Brown please come to the front of the store?”

All of a sudden I remembered that I promised my mom that I would be a good girl when we went to Meijer that day. I forgot all about how my mom would feel when she would come to the cart and see that her children had vanished.

As we got to the front of the store, I saw that my mom had tears flowing down her cheeks. Once she saw my brother and me, she broke down crying again and rushed to us as if she hadn’t seen us in weeks. She wrapped her arms around us and gave us the biggest hug I have ever had and said, “I love you.”

My mom could have gotten extremely mad at me. I let her down in so many ways. The only way she could respond to the mess I put her in was, “I love you.” From this experience I believe that the love from a mother to her children is unconditional.