Paul - Wheaton, Illinois
Themes: change

The most important character trait a person can have is an ability to adapt to change. Being flexible to what happens in life is vital to being successful and pushing ahead. Everyone runs things through their minds, planning out what may happen down the road, thinking life may happen one way or another. You run through scenarios, hoping luck turns your way in school, work, life. But what happens when things do not go your way?

When I was 19, I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. Here I am, young, in good shape, no health problems and boom. I was told I could never even eat a bowl of ice cream. I had to change my lifestyle, take medications, and check my sugars every few hours. Talk about a change of plans. Not only did my health change, but my life changed. I was forced to forego a future career, and subsequently change my major and my life plan. But rather than look down upon what had just happened, I saw an opportunity. It was an opportunity to take my newly gained knowledge and apply it to something that I enjoyed. It was an opportunity to meet new people, to explore new options, and unlock the door to a new life. Not give up what I had, but adjust. I had to adapt to this new situation and flourish. My health and life depended on this adaptation, and I have done that successfully.

Many people engrain a life map in their minds. They assume things will go this way, they believe things will go that way, until something happens. Their plan changes and they must make a decision. That decision will determine if they will head down the path of success or the path of struggle. It is a persons will and fortitude that will get you through life. When something does not go as planned, a new twist is introduced, run into a speed bump, what will you do? Will you assess what is happening, make the best decision and move on? Or will you freeze and let it shut you down? I believe that those who can adjust and adapt to new situations will flourish, thrive, and prosper. I believe that it is this strong resolve that can and will get me through anything. And, like anyone else, I too, can flourish, thrive, and prosper.