Julian - Orlando, Florida

I have always been told to write what I am passionate about. My being unable to properly articulate the great many mysteries of the world; I have chosen the subject of film for my essay.

My father once told me you have to be passionate about whatever you do. As my day goes on, I sit and wonder when I will be able to pick up a camera next or write another script and film it with my friends. Some people see film and television as an easy road to wealth or become a celebrity and be famous. Although how enticing as that maybe, that is not the reason why I make film my life. I see it simpler then that.

I compare my drive for film the same way I feel about surfing. Something inside of you drives you to pick up that board and paddle out. It does not matter how many sharks are in the water, or how big and choppy the waves are all; you want is the connection of the force of the earth beneath you as you hang on for the ride.

Film is that universal medium that all can enjoy. It is a great equalizer, because when the house lights come down and you settle in your seat it does not matter who you are, how much your annual salary is, you are there for the mere experience of the film; whether you enjoy it or not is up to you.

I believe in this experience, it is what drives me everyday to hopefully be able to one day connect with thousands of people in a single moment to make that audience cringe or laugh or cry. To connect on a deeper level, an emotion level, with the audience through my work in film.

I really hope one day everyone can feel my passion in their everyday life. To really take pride in their work no matter how miniscule it may seem. To see we all may not be on this earth for long, but the lives we live, the people we touch and the stories we create are timeless.