Nicole - Boca Raton, Florida
Themes: legacy

I believe in photos. I believe in the power of photos. I believe in how they can bring people together, even in the not so perfect family, for that one moment everyone embraces each other and smiles. I believe in the way it can make even the most mundane things or people in life seem beautiful or interesting. But most of all I believe in the way it can mark a moment in history that can be seen and remembered for generations to come.

My grandpa used to take pictures constantly and my grandma would put them up on all the walls of their house. There would be tons of pictures of us grandkids and how we have grown up over the years, or just families, their family, friends of the family’s family. Even if I didn’t always know who the people were there was some crazy story that went along with them. Even if they weren’t the most flattering pictures, like both my dad and grandpa falling asleep in unison after a Thanksgiving dinner, those pictures would always still be around.

After my grandpa passed away my grandma just started putting together a collection of picture albums were she would write down those people and stories about them. Now she has started to take over the picture-taking role and I was given all my grandpa’s old camera equipment. I guess what I believe mostly in is how these pictures can tell a story and be able to be passed down from generation to generation. They will always be around and always have a meaning behind them.

I have always been known to take my camera with me where ever I go. I take pictures of new things or just things remembered. I recently moved away to a new college and when I return home I take photos of places I’ve been to a million times. My friends always say I look like a tourist. But I’m all right with that because I’ll have known that I captured this moment in time, now, and no one can take that away from me.