Nicholas - indianapolis, Indiana

I believe that as you grow older your beliefs change. I used to believe many things but now I realized that you get smarter as life goes on and you think more and more everyday.

When I was a little kid I believed in Santa, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy. Christmas was the most exciting day of the year. I would run down the stairs when I would wake up from my feeble attempts to sleep. And I would get so excited when I saw all those presents around the tall dark green Christmas tree. I used to thing Christmas was just about getting presents from Santa but, I was completely wrong. Santa wasn’t really and Christmas is spending time with your family and actually get to know them better as people not just your brothers or sisters or parents.

I used to believe that life was so damn easy, playing outside, hanging around with your friends, and school, whoa, that was a piece of cake compared to high school. Now I am about to get a job so I have experience what the real world is like and what the real value of a dollar is. I’m getting okay grades compared to the grades I got in elementary school. High school and elementary school are completely different. There are so many people in high school compared to how I knew everyone in elementary school and everyone knew me. Friends are the biggest change; they change a lot, for the good and for the bad. My best friend Eric and I have been best friends since three years old. We don’t really see each other as much as we used to but when we do hangout it feels like we just were we each other the day before. It’s always good to have a best friend and everyone needs one.

I also realized that people’s emotions aren’t thing to be messed with. When I was younger I was a big jokester and I still am in many ways but, I got a glimpse of what it’s like to be the main attraction of laughter. I have done hurtful things to people that I never really thought about until those same things happened to me. I have made fun of people because they were different now looking back I was the one who was different and they should have been the ones making fun of me but, they never did.

I used to think my parents were “Super Heroes,” that they could do anything they wanted and nothing could hurt them, bring them down, and that they were not human, they were my parents. Now I know that they are human they are just like everyone else. They do have there times were they can be mean and irritated, everyone has their bad days. Sometimes they can’t talk but you know they are there for you. Now I am closer to my parents then I have ever been, we talk and argue just like every parent does with their child. We laugh and cry together, and we will always be together even when they have pass away, they will always been with me. I’m just fortunate enough to have both of my parents in my life and they are willing to take care of me. I realized that they aren’t always right like they tell me they are but, for some reason I still believe everything they tell me like when I was a little child, I wish I still was a little child.