Angela - Slinger, Wisconsin

Your Own Skin

I believe that diversity is a part of the natural world. No one, individual person is equivalent. Sameness is not only uninteresting but also very limiting. Understand that those who cause no harm to anyone, can be who they want to be. I believe in an everlasting, pure life. Everyone is his or her own person, size, and shape. Our differences are what make us our own entire person. “There never were in the world two opinions alike, no more than two hairs or two grains; the most universal quality is diversity” -Michel de Montaigne. I believe that diversity is what makes us who we are in this world today. If it’s not our hair color, clothes, race, it’s our personality. All of our differences in our personalities clash together to form a whole world full of distinctiveness. All of us in this world are like thousandths of blooming flowers, all different colors and sizes. A thin layer of pure color and beauty protects each individual flower giving it its own identity. Eventually, we all bloom into something divine and heavenly. Our diverse personalities are the future.

There are too many people in this world that judge a book by its cover. Being your own person is more rewarding then most thinks. It makes you feel like you are on top of the world, and your free. You feel powerful, indifferent and adventuress. Breaking out of your “shell” takes time and patience. Don’t let anyone put you down for the way you dress either. Dressing the way you feel expresses not only whom you are, but also what you are. You stand out. You’re different. Be the unordinary. Life only comes once, so be all that you can be. Diversity follows you and surrounds you forever. In the real world, you deal with diversity everyday. If your working with different races for business or for work. You will encounter African Americans, Asians, Hispanics, and everyone else. Everyone has his or her own look at life. They can express their beliefs through religion, and culture. It’s also shown through food, art, writing, and words. Diversity is what makes us who we are.

Being comfortable in your own skin is the most important self-esteem issue today. Too many people aren’t comfortable with who they are, and what they look like. They don’t realize that they are beautiful just the way they are. You don’t need someone to tell you that, you should know that already. Being beautiful is not only your looks, but it’s who you are as a whole. You can be any size and still be beautiful. I believe diversity is stunning. It’s a painting with thousands of different colors and styles. “We have become not a melting pot but a beautiful mosaic. Different people, different beliefs, different yearnings, different hopes, different dreams.” Jimmy Carter. I can’t even begin to describe the thousands of different interpretations and definitions of one simple, pure word. Diversity. Some people call it a different mixture of people together, while others feel control of whom they are. Human diversity makes tolerance more than a virtue; it makes it a requirement for survival. –Rene Debus.

Accept others as their own person. Don’t judge. Listen to your own heart, and say what you want to say. Your only live once, so live as if everyday was your last. All of us in this world are like thousandths of blooming flowers, all different colors and sizes. A thin layer of pure color and beauty protects each individual flower giving it its own identity. Eventually, we all bloom into something divine and heavenly. Our diverse personalities are the future. Diversity is the one thing everyone can do. All they have to do is be themselves.