Ben - Casselberry
Themes: setbacks

In my life I have fallen more times then I would like too remember, and when I say I have fallen Im speaking literally and figuratively. I can remember back in elementary school running in from recess, tripping and executing a perfect face-plant into the dry sand that covered the playground. Growing up I was not the best student my parents could have hoped for, but I did try my hardest and got through school with the almighty C and even the occasional B (if I was lucky enough to enjoy the subject). My school days were not with out, like I stated earlier, the occasional figurative fall.

In my middle school years I remember having a very important project due for class, but with all my procrastinating skills I managed to get about three quarters of the way through the project. What was I to do? Well in all my genius I decided to forge my fathers signature, but he had a very distinct signature not easily forged. An idea popped in my head, my father had his own business and with that business he had his own business cards and his logo just happened to be, thats right, his signature. So in a moment of desperation the morning the project was due I grabbed one of his cards and taped it on to a note that I had written explaining why the project was not complete. When I handed over my letter to the teacher she slowly looked up at me and asked why my father had not signed this. Now where some kids may have panicked I was ready for this, I calmly told her that my dad had broken his finger and could not sign my letter so he just taped on his business card, surprisingly the teacher seemed to buy it.

Later that week my mom came to pick me up at school and before I could get out of there, to my horror, my teacher walked up and asked, “so hows you husbands hand?” My mom looked at her with a confused expression and my teacher once again slowly looked over at me and well you can guess what happened from there, lets just say I had a lot of explaining to do and a lot of work ahead of me. This incident was a big fall for me but I managed to pick myself up and eventually gain the respect of my teachers so much so that they awarded me the Disney Dreamer and Doers Award for my projects (a very big privilege given to one student per grade in a school).

I had many more falls in my life, mostly involving my face meeting the ground, but I was always able to pick myself up and keep on going. At this point in my life, after all the falls, there is next to nothing that will embarrass me, but a big fall always hurts.