Averi - Pleasant Grove, Utah
Themes: change

There I was. Alone. With no one to help me. I had never felt so alone before in my own house, in my own room. I had listened to everyone around me who had told me that it would be great to move. Now I literally felt like a speck of dust that could drift away and no one would care.

Just three months before, I had been happy. I was able to just be myself in front of everyone. I had friends that loved me, a happy family, and could finally walk around my school and have someone to say hi to every five steps, which is what I had always wanted.

I can remember the day perfectly. I had just gotten home. My mom was picking me up from the airport from a little weekend vacation. As soon as I got in the car, the entire atmosphere changed. I looked up at my mom. Her eyes were tear stained. “Averi,” she started with my name, which was never a good sign, “how would you feel if we decided to moved?” As soon as this simple sentence left her mouth, I knew what she had been crying about, and all of my control left. I was crying hysterically with no end in sight. The next thing I knew she was rambling on about how she thought that we should move sooner rather than later.

I had two weeks to pack all of my stuff, get my schoolwork in order, and say good-bye to all of my good friends. I thought that I would be ok. That my mom knew what she was doing. Parents are supposed to know what they are doing, aren’t they?

Well once I had moved and gotten all unpacked, this story actually started. With me in my room, unable to control all the nervousness and fright I felt at the time. Starting school was not any easier either. I had to walk into a school I had never seen before. Meet kids that I never even dreamed of meeting and rebuild all of the confidence that had escaped me so easily when I had left my home.

Thankfully as the year progressed, things got easier. No person wants to have to step out of his or her “comfort zone”, but I think sometimes you have to in order to grow and actually find out what you can take. Many people do not know how strong they actually are. Some don’t know how far they can be pushed because they have always been to scared to try new things.

Even though changing schools is definitely not something that is enjoyable, I believe in it. I believe in facing your trials head on instead of shrinking away from them and doing what is easy or comfortable. You will never know what you can accomplish until you challenge yourself to the point at which you think you will snap and then make it through. This, I believe.