William - Orlando, Florida

God is a necessity for the human survival just as instinct is necessary for the survival of any wild beast. As humans, we are unique to this world, which is just a special way of calling us an oddity. To our knowledge we are the only beings of any perceptible form that possesses self-actualization. Where as every other animal must follow a pre-determined design for its life from birth, becoming nothing else than a more complex, and occasionally fuzzier, cycle of survival and procreation, we are different. We are born with no more instincts than the ones that allow us to survive through infancy to the point where we must reason and conclude upon our own desires, necessities, and even purpose. In a universe of control and constructed automatons we are chaos, reason, exception. And we are lonely.

Stranded in a realm of systems and programs, we must find our place. So we give ourselves laws, desires, and purpose. There are things we are not allowed to do, bringing order to our chaos. There are jobs and activities to be performed, even if they do not further our own survival in any real perceivable way, giving us reason. We honor ourselves above all else on our planet, bringing glory to our otherwise bizarre exception. However, laws and occupations are but creations of man. They are idealizations realized by other lonely souls just like us, and thus lack the impact we desire to give us purpose in our existence. However, a higher force, one that thinks like us yet at the same time is beyond all of our inevitable logical shortcomings, can provide us with all our needs. A system for us to operate in, and yet still be beyond the rest of the mechanical world. This is God and His word. He was created by the first cavemen to draw upon their walls, and He is a necessity to our exception.

I was raised Baptist, and still am, and I first realized this when I went through my inevitable religious crisis in my teenage years. The usual reasons of suffering and death led me to be angry with God for about a week, during which I decided to live without him. I ventured into a world of my own control, finally alone to live outside of any rules. I quickly grew tired, callous, and lonely. By the end of the week I had reached my breaking point and was driven to tears every hour or so. During this episode I found solace in my mother, who again explained the importance to me of rules and sympathy, of human kindness and the unfortunate side-effects of free thought. I eventually returned to God with a new understanding of what He was and why I needed Him. Whether we were designed with this need or God was created out of it is up to you to decided, but either way His existence is in harmony with our own.