Kristyn - Lake Linden, Michigan
Themes: family, setbacks

Have you ever had to depend on someone when you were physically unable?

Well, I have. I had to depend on my mom and dad or whoever was around after I had foot surgery. I had to have implants put in my ankle because it turned in causing a bunion. A bunion is a bone sticking out on the side of your big toe caused by your big toe turning in against all of your other toes pushing them over. It’s not just some random bone that grew there its actually part of your big toe.

I could use my crutches to get what I want but that was a chore itself and if you used them too much it would really hurt where it rubbed on your side. I’ve made the mistake of going on my kitchen floor, which is wooden after I’ve came in from going somewhere. One of my crutches slid across the wooden floor and that didn’t feel too good on my foot since my natural reaction was to use that foot to stop me from falling.

I always felt like a pest to my mom. I couldn’t carry anything so I was always pestering my mom to get me something. It seemed like every five minutes I was asking her to get me this, get me that. Just as she would fall asleep I would need something. I couldn’t cook food but that was fine with me because I’m not a very good cook. I had to depend on my mom to cook food for me.

After a couple of days of being in my house without ever leaving I got pretty shack happy. I just had to get out. I didn’t even care if it was only for a half an hour.

With that being said I had to depend on someone to take me somewhere, at this point anywhere and I would be happy. Going for a ride involved someone to help you get in the vehicle if it’s a truck or high up off the ground.

Of course there was never anything good on television at the time besides old Christmas movies since it was Christmas time so I was always bugging my mom to bring me somewhere. We went to Wal-Mart once and I rode in one of the electric carts and it was sort of fun.

After having to use my crutches all I wanted to do is just drop them and be able to walk normally. Even though I know that in the end it will be as good new so I shouldn’t complain too much. Wow I felt helpless. You don’t know how much you need your feet until you can only use one.

Sometimes it’s hard to depend on people because they don’t always have free time to help you out.

I believe you can only depend on yourself; not others. You can depend on certain people but they might not always be there. You just know the people you can’t depend on and for me along with many others that would be my brother. That’s why you can depend on yourself and only yourself.