Jessica - Sparta, Michigan

Little Miracles

I believe in little miracles.

My first miracle I witnessed was with a three year old boy in Virginia. We were working on an addition to his house because he played with the breaker box and burnt the upstairs of their home. He was sweet, at first, but later on we saw his real personality. He was very mean to his animals, pinching the dogs, throwing the cat, and these animals were already maltreated. They were full of ticks, their ribs showing, they just wanted to be pet and treated kindly. He was not only mean to his pets, but us as well. He stole our tools, sunglasses, and anything else you can imagine. There was a time that he tried to steal a wallet from one of our delivery men. As the week went on, I kept him occupied and he eventually began to take after me. He saw how I treated the animals and slowly he began to change his ways. By the end of the week he became nicer to his pets, petting and playing with them. When our last day came, he gave us great big hugs and said he did not want us to leave. We left their house for the last time and I felt a rush of emotion come over me because I helped that little boy hopefully become a nicer person, to his pets and to others.

I was in New York for fall break and this experience emphasized my belief in miracles. I was working in the thrift store with Alex, Owen, Angi, and Emily when this large man came in looking for a winter coat. He looked like he had just got done working, all covered in black dirt and holes in his clothes. He looked at Emily and me and asked if we could find him a winter coat because it was getting cold outside. We helped him try on coats that were not fitting him. Everyone he tried on left his wrists and forearms exposed. He became very frustrated, losing all hope and was going to settle on a coat that did not fit him. I remembered there was another bag of coats that we had not finish hanging up and I began to shuffle through it. The first coat I pulled out was a 3XL tall winter coat, in pretty good shape. He put it on and it fit perfectly. He gave me the biggest smile, a big hug, and told me, “If I ever win the lottery, I will give you half of my winnings. There must be a God up there.” I smiled and said, “Yup, he’s up there working his magic on kind people like you.” He really made me feel special, like I was in the right place at the right time.

I believe in little miracles. I believe that they change people’s lives for the better. I have seen miracles happen and how they have changed people’s lives, including my own.