Madison - Hilmar, California

The reason that you and I are here, in America today, is because in the 1700’s people were unhappy with their lives. Even if America was formed for economical or religious purposes, people would come to America to change their lives. Many people from many different countries would immigrate to America. Today America is filled with a sea of different cultures, and is just like a bag of trail mix.

Everyone living in America is an American. You can be Asian, African, French, Indian, Irish, European, German or Mexican. You can be the eighth generation from the Civil War time, or a black descendent of Thomas Jefferson. Your parents could have even immigrated to America 20 years ago, or you could have just come here two years ago. You are an American.

Take me for example. My grandmother is full Korean, and was born and raised in Korea. My grandfather was full German but was adapted by Americans, and was raised in America. My other grandmother was born in America and raised by her immigrant parents from Norway. My other grandfather’s ancestors have been in America since the time Indians outnumbered the whites. My mother, although born in America, was raised in Korea to the time that she was 12 years old. My father was born and raised right out of California. I am an American.

The ideal American will take their family out on a Sunday afternoon in their suburban, and go to the park and have a barbeque. Does what you cook on the barbeque make you American? It could be a Norwegian fish that you cook, Korean dukgoop, or just an American hamburger. So you may ask, what is the American Culture? The American Culture is all the cultures mixed together, to make one big one. We are Americans.

A melting pot is in the place of America on the map. You throw all of these different types of metal in, from steel to iron and what comes out is the strongest type of metal of all, an American.

America is the land of opportunities. As my father says, “the true vain of what makes someone an American is that they can be whatever they want to be. Their efforts, because of our government, we have the ability to be what we want. Whatever efforts we put in is what we get out of it. Those of us that do put in this effort, posses the true American spirit.”

In the end it doesn’t matter what our skin color is, or how heavy our accent is. What matters is what we all make of it in the end. This is an American.