Realizing the Significance of Change

Ianna - Palm Desert, California
Themes: change

Change is the act of a situation transforming into different predicament. It is unpredictable, intimidating, and commonly feared. Many Americans believe that change seldom brings success, especially change that is unexpected. Change is an incredible force that can either make a person or break them. The issue for most people is that they have this common preconception that change will only deliver failure or anything besides the desired results. What most people who fear modifications to their life choose not to believe is that immense changes have the potential to deliver unbelievably beneficial results.

Eight years ago my sister, Brigitte, was born and the moment I found out I was to have another little sister I was absolutely devastated. At the time, I was only ten years old and had very little experience with major changes, so naturally I was astonished. I had not ever expected or wanted my family of four to grow any larger. Just the thought that there would be a stranger living in my house very soon frightened me beyond belief. It was not until Brigitte was actually born that I realized what kind of mistake I had made in thinking that my life would take a turn for the worse once my new sibling arrived. Though she may never realize, Brigitte proved my ideas about change completely wrong.

The past eight years with my family of five have been crazy and amazing. When I look back on these past few years, I cannot even begin to imagine how different my life would be without my youngest sister. Since Brigitte’s birth I have openly welcomed changes in my life. Now that I am a Senior in high school and applying for colleges, I am not scared or even reconsidering the future that I have begun to plan for myself. Somehow, I have the most significant change in my life just less than a year away, and I am not the slightest bit uneasy about it.

Like many other people around the world, I have underestimated the potential of change. From Brigitte’s addition to the family I have learned to embrace change and hope for the best. Having experienced an unexpected life-changing event, I believe that people should be able to embrace their unpredictable futures. I now believe that the majority of the time change will deliver desirable benefits to those who deserve it, thought they often least expect it. My personal experience with change has also led me to believe that change adds diversity to a person’s life. A life that lacks change is a life that becomes redundant and dull. Ultimately, I now believe that without change it is impossible to live life to its fullest.