Brittney - Milford, Ohio

Giving A Smile Brings A Smile

Just recently, I gave up the paper route I had for over four years. At first, it was a huge relief. Then I started to think about how close I have grown with some of my customers over the years. It sounds a little silly because after all, I was only their paper girl. It is amazing to interact with all these different kinds of people every week. Some of them are so friendly, some are scary, some are weird, and some I probably won’t remember twenty years from now. However, there were a select few I will remember for the rest of my life. There was one woman, specifically, that made me realize the kind of person I want to be. Every time I came around to collect, she left gifts for me. The gifts ranged anywhere from a candy bar to a one-piece pajama suit with the little footies like I wore when I was three. No matter what she left, it always put a smile on my face. The first time she left me a gift, I wrote her a thank you note and ever since that day, we wrote each other back and forth. I could tell she was very lonely. In her letters, she told me all about her life and I would tell her about mine. Also, she would tell me what a great person I am and how I make her day every time she receives a letter. It made me feel so good to know that I brought her happiness just by taking a few minutes to write her a letter. In my last letter I wrote to her, I gave her my address and told her she could write whenever she wanted and I would do the same.

Now that I have quit, it’s not the gifts I’m going to miss. It’s the feeling I get knowing that I brightened her day every time I wrote her a letter. I always thought it was foolish and exaggerated when teachers and principals said doing one little nice thing for someone could make their day. Now I realize how true that really is. So, this I believe: going that extra mile to put a smile on someone’s face not only makes them feel good, but makes myself feel good as well. That doesn’t mean doing something extraordinary or huge for them, just something small that will put some sunshine into their day.