Dorothy - Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
Age Group: 65+
Themes: war

I want to shake the world’s sagging shoulders and say, don’t you see, love, not war, is the only soluton to our disfunction. War is so ineffective, really. The gentle suggestion, “Love thy neighber”– even though you disagree with him–put into action, could do a lot toward helping the third world to pick itself up and climb out of its helplessness. This I believe.

Am I hopelessly idealistic? I don’t think so. On April 16, 1953 General Dwight D. Eisenhower, in his forthright way, made profoundly simple sense in a speech, “Chance for Peace”. He said, essentially, “Every gun

that is made, every warship launched…..signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed…….

The thought of what the world could be if the world’s people were free to use their intelligence constructively, is scarcely new. Given the misery and waste of war, isn’t it surprising that a concept so appealing has been thus far unachievable.

Maybe these are end-of-life thoughts. At age 85 I have a lot of ambitious dreams–of a better world for my grandchildren, for everybody.