Elain - 92120, California

This I Believe…

A little girl holding a single finger. That is what I believe in. That every girl deserves a father figure and butterfly kisses. Because to me butterfly kisses are two people’s hearts touching forever. I honestly and truthfully believe that my dad is a superhero. He has a mask, cape, and super dad powers. He would fight against the evil monsters in my room and keep my sandy dolly safe when I went to school. He would defeat the evil monsters under my futon bed. He is my superhero. Back to reality. Every and all superheroes are flawed. Once a respirator replaced my dad’s mask and a hospital gown took away all of his powers. And just like that the tears and pain attacked me at full force. My superhero was defeated. They found his fatal flaw. As the tears attacked and pain over took my body, where was my daddy? This was when he was supposed to come and save me! This was the time when he was supposed to be there. It was situations like this when he was supposed to shield me.

Just because I have seen my superhero flawed does not mean that my image of him is tainted. I still believe that my dad rules above all. Because he does. He is strong, like a rock. He is caring and loving. He gives to the poor and feeds the hungry. He cares for everyone and family is the most important thing in his life. He is my dad. He is someone I am proud of and in return I make sure that I follow his example and I make sure I do the family name well. He has ambitions and dreams for the both of us. One day we can stand together and be proud of what we have accomplished.

My dad looks mafia. Acts mafia. And people are deathly afraid of him. But that is only his mask. My dad has a caring heart so big that it never stops giving and rarely does he expect anything in return. Good karma as he justifies his actions. A heart so big and loving that it is his heart that is his fatal flaw. Just like the pain, it attacked him and it continued to. But he is a superhero and he survived this one attack. He puts on his mafia mask and all is always alight. I believe in my dad because I do everything in his name. I do my best to make him proud and I try my hardest. Because I am a little girl. I am his little girl and I believe our butterfly kisses will last forever. I believe in him and he believes in me and that is all we need. I believe he will always fight the evil. I believe he will always be there. I believe that he will never let me down. I believe that when I screw up I hurt him more than he hurts me because I tainted his vision of his little girl. I believe that my dad will never stop loving me. No matter how many attacks that my superhero goes through. I will always believe in my dad. And when the day comes…he will walk me down the isle mask, cape, powers and all. But we will not walk hand in hand, but his finger in my little girl hand.