Rachel - Cedar Bluffs, Nebraska

I believe that life is what you make of it, be it good or bad. I knew those words… I knew their meaning, but it wasn’t until the start of my freshman year in high school that I really listened to them.

Before then I had considered myself an outcast with some ‘friends’ but not really any real ones. I would stay home and mope about it. I would whine and rant about it online, but never do anything about it. I guess I just expected everyone to wake up and decide that I was worth their effort alone to talk with me. Well, I had been wrong then.

There was something about that first day of school, my freshman year. It was a turning point for me. For the first time in a long time, I had taken a chance and sat with my friends. I had risked getting hurt and got a lunch time full of laughter and happiness.

Talking to new people can be scary… it is still scary. Change, such as a real job, is scary. The world is scary but if I try in my life I can make something out of it. All I have to do is reach out and go for it. So yeah, it is scary. But I would rather be scared then sit back and watch as I waste my life away. This I believe.