“Well, Do You Believe?”

Sara - San Diego, California

I believe that the sky is blue. Why? I don’t know, but it is. Perhaps you could say that I believe it because I see it. Perhaps I see it because I believe it. Maybe you’d argue that you see it too and that is why the sky is blue. Well, do you believe it?

I believe in God. I believe in a greater Being. I believe in a Creator of the Universe. No matter how many arguments may arise, no matter how many controversies may come about, I will always believe. Do I see Him? Some may tell me that I cannot. Others may say that I am wasting my time if I try. The truth of the matter is that I see Him as clearly as I see the words upon this page.

I see Him in the ear-to-ear grin of a child clutching her freshly scooped vanilla ice cream cone. I see Him in the elderly couple gently dancing at their 50th wedding anniversary. I see Him in the single rain drop breaking the smooth glass puddle on the barren road. I see Him in a family’s affectionate embrace, holding each other up with support and love. I see Him in the homeless man sleeping on the graffitied park bench, shivering and famished. I see Him as I walk wistfully through my neighborhood on a warm summer’s night. I see Him in the whispering palm trees that sway in His invisible breath that humans have come to call wind. I see Him in the clear blue sky that is blue because it is. I see Him – it’s simple as that.

For me, there is no such thing as blind faith. I believe in Him because I see Him. He reveals Himself to the whole world at every moment of man-made time. We may choose to be blind to His working hand, but that doesn’t mean that it is not there. I believe in God just as much as I believe that the sky is blue. Perhaps you could say that I believe it because I see it. Perhaps I see it because I believe it. Maybe you’d argue that you see it too and that is why the sky is blue. Well, do you believe it? Why is the sky blue? I don’t know why – perhaps the sky is blue because it’s God’s favorite color and He wanted it to be seen by every eye. Or maybe it is blue because it reflects the crystal color of the oceans and rivers and streams. Maybe the sky used to be white, but a young angel took his crayons and colored in the lines of the horizon. Or maybe the sky was supposed to be green, but God became so preoccupied with humanity and the forbidden fruit incident that He forgot to add the yellow. Why is the sky blue? I really don’t know, and that’s enough for me.

I believe in God because of the faith of others. I believe in Him because of the elderly woman who sits in the same pew every morning at 8 o’clock mass. I believe in Him because of the beaming, little boy, returning from Sunday school with a newly memorized bible verse and a flimsy, decorated, paper cross in hand. I believe in Him because of the folded hands and reverent glances of the skillful alter servers. I believe in Him because of Baptisms and First Communions. I believe in Him because I find myself coming back to Mass every Sunday morning at 11 o’clock, despite my busy schedule and hectic life. The faith of others fuels my belief in God. I believe in Him because of morning prayers and “thank you’s” before meals. I believe in Him because the sun always seems to find itself creeping up above the silent mountain crests morning after morning. I believe in Him because I breathe – I move – my heart beats – I am alive. I can do none of these things by my own will, therefore, I believe in God, the Creator, who’s very thought of me brought me to life. I believe in Him because of the fact that the sky is blue – why else would it be blue except for the mere fact that He found pleasure in it and chose to share that delight with the rest of this world. Perhaps you could say that I believe it because I see it. Perhaps I see it because I believe it. Maybe you’d argue that you see it too and that is why the sky is blue. Well, do you believe it?

Argue with me as much as you would desire, offer as many explanations to me as you could think up, describe it to me however you’d like to, but nothing can change the fact that I believe in God. Perhaps you could say that I believe in Him because I see Him. Perhaps I see Him because I believe in Him. Maybe you’d argue that you see Him too and that is why He is true. Well, do you believe?