Courtney - Lake Linden, Michigan

The power of animals is stronger than any other.

How many shows have you seen where an animal saves a humans life? On the other hand, how many shows have you seen where a human abuses an animal?

Even when people mistreat animals, starve them, abuse them, leave them in apartments to die, they don’t lose trust in us. If they’re lucky, they go to a shelter, pass the rigorous tests, and maybe get adopted in the mere five days they get to live. If they’re not so lucky, they fall through the cracks somewhere. They die in the apartment. Or fail a test. Or, they make it through all that just to get passed over time and time again. Eventually, somebody decides that there is no more food to feed them. Then what? They are “humanely” euthanized.

When some humans have problems, they go to see a “therapist”. But, sometimes, an animal works better. If someone is upset, what better therapy than to hug a warm animal that can’t talk back?

I own a menagerie of animals. Every time I have a problem, my animals end up hearing about it. They listen, don’t talk, don’t give unwanted advice.

Animals usually get the bad end of the stick. If a dog bites a person once-just once- they are almost always euthanized. However, if a human abuses an animal-hits them, starves them, sometimes even kill them- it’s a misdemeanor in some states. In others it might be a felony, but the guilty person usually ends up with only a few months jail time. Often, they are allowed to own animals again.

All types of animals are used for therapy. Horses are used to help children with physical disabilities regain their range of motion. Children with mental problems are often calmed by the horses. Autistic children especially, will connect with the horses and begin to open up to the people around them.

Dogs are used in hospitals and nursing homes around the country. Many a face will light up when they catch sight of the animals. In fact, miniature horses are starting to become popular as therapy animals. They can be “housetrained” just like dogs, and with booties on their hooves, they make intelligent, friendly therapy horses.

Animals touch our hearts and our minds everyday. The world would be a cold and unloving place without those happy faces and unconditional love that people with animals see every day. I believe in the power of animals.