Bob - Lauderhill, Florida

If I Were Running For President…

“You say you want the truth, a president who will tell it like it is? Well, here is that truth. We have by our own hands gone from being the avengers to being the terrorists, but at long last we seem to have found a patch of common ground. Let us use it wisely for it comes to us by the blood of many and with no guarantees. Our failures in Iraq and here at home must lie at our own doorstep. We must remind ourselves that while we Americans believe we offer the best hope for peace in the Middle East, there are many who question this. It is high time those of us who live in this democracy showcase our American way of life instead of our military might. Grace has endured while empires have come and gone. There is absolutely no reason to roll the dice. We have history as a guide; let’s use it.

“Whenever I hear any one arguing for torture, I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on them personally. It has never been the policy of the American people to fight lies with lies. Our founding fathers, and one of greatest Americans in the history of our country, Abraham Lincoln, did their level best to negotiate peace. It was only after all else failed that they gave into fighting a war.

“As President Lincoln said, ‘In great contests each party claims to act in accordance with the will of God. Both may be, and one must be, wrong. God cannot be for and against the same thing at the same time. In the presence of war it is quite possible that God’s purpose is something different from the purpose of either party.’

“I refer to my creator as God; you may have a different name. Nevertheless, I cannot believe our creator desires that we slaughter each other using His name. Therefore, I hereby pledge to God Almighty and the people of this world as the President of the United States, the door to the Oval Office will be swung open wide to anyone and everyone who desires peace on earth and goodwill towards us all. Yes, let there be no doubt that I’m a Republican, but I was an American before I was a Republican, and if push comes to shove, I’ll be an American long after I’ve ceased to be a Republican.”