Dasha - La Quinta, California

I Believe in Kindness that Goes Unnoticed

I am a hostess at a little family owned Italian restaurant called Mario’s. One factor that my job title entails is taking to go food orders over the phone, satisfying the customer when they arrive to pick up their course of Italian Cuisine, and assuring that the order is correct for the customer to take home. After paying for the meal, the customer is free to place a tip in the tip jar located right in front of the register if they happen to wish so.

One busy night, after putting all of the food into bags with Parmesan cheese and hot peppers, I handed the customer, Jane her spaghetti and meatballs and Lasagna. I turned around for a few seconds to assists another co-worker with a task. I did not notice that Jane had been waiting for me to look at her so I could clearly see her insert five dollars into the plastic jar. Did she really need to delay her actions in order for me to gratefully catch a glimpse at the money she had kindly given to me?

This made me question the nature of kindness. Do we all want our good deeds to be constantly recognized and appreciated by someone else? I noticed that perhaps I exhibit the same need for attention when I attempt to benevolent towards others. I decided to test myself by giving gratitude to others or the things around me without effort to gain recognition. I believe individuals should help others out of love and friendship, even if it is a total stranger. I did not want to be like Jane, and began noticing situations in which I could help and observed when others did as well.

One of my co-workers had her purse stolen in the back booth of the restaurant a few weeks later, which contained everything from cash to credit cards and drivers license. Three days later, our boss handed her an envelope that enclosed $800 in cash from an anonymous customer who had heard about the misfortune. She never did find out who gave her that money, and I set my priorities and morals straight so I could pass the same effect to others as a chain.